- Defended start-up company against trade-secret claims by its officers' former employer.
- Represented Fortune 100 company in antitrust Tunney Act proceedings in federal district court.
- Represented major Internet company in case involving invocation of IP protection by "patent trolls."
- Represented manufacturer in antitrust investigation by state attorney general and related civil litigation, successfully settling state investigation and winning summary judgment in related litigation.
- Represented the purchaser with respect to regulatory due diligence and approvals in connection with the spin-off of cable systems from a major national MSO.
- Represented and advised cable companies on an ongoing basis as to franchise transfer and renewal, retransmission consent negotiations and must-carry elections, copyright, signal leakage, digital transition issues.
- Represented major IP voice providers before the FCC on issues related to federal and state jurisdiction, E911, CALEA and interprovider compensation.
- Advised high-tech clients on foreign regulator electronic equipment compliance, certification and authorization matters.
- Offered strategic advice on opportunities for telecom services in the European market.
- Secured licenses and other necessary authorizations from the FCC for international telecom services and submarine cable landings.
- Represented major equipment manufacturers before the FCC and Congress in proceedings addressing the regulation of VoIP and other Internet-protocol-based services.
- Represented major providers of Internet-protocol-based services before the FCC in connection with 911 and CALEA issues.
- Drafed and served as lead outside advocate for Petition for Forbearance seeking to have the FCC reconfirm that Voice over Internet Protocol traffic (VoIP) is not subject to interstate and intrastate access charges.
- Represented a Direct Broadcast Satellite operator in licensing and other matters before the FCC.
- Provided advocacy for major corporations, industry associations and United States delegations before the Organization of American States' Inter-American Telecommunications Commission (CITEL) on spectrum planning, radio service planning, orbit access, and technical recommendations for the CITEL region (western hemisphere).
- Represented satellite broadband operator in issues before the FCC.
Wireless and Mobile
- Represented major equipment manufacturers before the FCC on technical and policy matters addressing spectrum policy and management.
- Represented national wireless carrier in appeal of $5 billion reorganization of 800 MHz spectrum.
- Represented a wireless industry trade association, at the FCC, before Congress and in federal court, in connection with implementation of the Telecommunications Act of 1996 and other matters.
- Represented and advising a consortium of Personal Communications Services providers on issues surrounding standards for next-generation wireless technologies.
- Represented clients before the FCC on radio frequency device compliance matters, including compliance with FCC (and foreign) device certification and authorization.
- Represented clients before the FCC on Public Safety and First Responder matters relating to spectrum access, frequency band planning, public safety equipment interoperability, and future broadband requirements.
- Aided in the negotiation of spectrum use agreements along the borders with Canada and Mexico.
- Spearheaded the creation and FCC adoption of the Coalition for Affordable Local and Long Distance Services (CALLS) Plan, the first-ever joint effort by local exchange and long distance carriers—including AT&T, BellSouth, SBC, Sprint and Verizon—comprehensively to reform telecommunications subsidy mechanisms and interstate access pricing.
- Represented group of long distance, competitive local and wireless companies in proposing reforms ultimately adopted by the FCC in its MAG Order.
- Represented a coalition of end users and carriers that proposed to reform federal universal service contribution mechanisms to a per connection system, and subsequently represented AT&T in its advocacy for a per-telephone number contribution mechanism.
- Represented one of the nation's most successful CLECs with respect to preserving opportunities for CLECs to receive the same universal service support.
- Represented one of the nation's largest credit card issuers before the FCC in connection with revision of the agency's interstate telemarketing rules.
- Represented nationwide wireline service providers in connection with merger proceedings before the FCC.
- Protected copyrights and trademarks of a major global manufacturer of fine china and crystal.
- Advised clients on intellectual property issues in connection with online sales and marketing.
- Defended the interests of an Internet technology company that holds, uses, and licenses a wide array of patents in litigation against "patent trolls."
- Counseled and representied companies in connection with Internet-related domain name, copyright, and trademark disputes.
- Advised and represented satellite television and cable television operators in connection with copyright matters, including statutory licenses governing the retransmission of television programming.
International Trade and Investment
- Represented international organizations and governments regarding the legal and policy problems of conducting business internationally and deploying new technologies.
- Prepared needed submissions to U.S. licensing, investment review, and law enforcement agencies in transactions involving foreign interests.
Supreme Court and Appellate
- Represented world's largest business federation and other business interests before the Supreme Court, both at certiorari stage and on the merits.
- Represented major telecommunications companies and equipment suppliers in appeals of FCC orders before the United States Courts of Appeals.
- Filed amicus briefs in Supreme Court cases of national importance, including on behalf of the Michigan Black Law Students Alumni Society in Grutter v. Bollinger (challenge to University of Michigan Law School affirmative action policy); on behalf of a group of international experts in Senator Mitch McConnell et al. v. Federal Election Commission (challenge to federal campaign finance statute); and on behalf a human rights organization in Hamdan v. Rumsfeld (challenge to trial by military tribunal).
- Broad experience defending white collar criminal investigations involving securities and accounting fraud, antitrust, environmental matters, health care fraud, export control, and other matters.
- Represented corporate officer in criminal investigation and parallel SEC investigation, other federal agency investigation, and civil proceedings, all arising from common allegations of highly complicated accounting fraud.
- Represented accountant in criminal investigation of high-profile tax fraud case prosecuted in Southern District of New York.
- Represented several executives in criminal investigation and parallel SEC investigation of allegations of fraud in accounting for online advertising.
- Represented corporative executives in criminal anti-trust matter.