Focused on technology, media, and telecoms, HWG’s corporate group leads complex transactions by delivering industry knowledge, commercial experience, and a nuanced understanding of the regulatory environment. We steer clients through infrastructure deployment agreements, mergers and acquisitions, and innovative commercial transactions.
Telecommunications & Infrastructure Transactions
HWG structures and negotiates novel contractual arrangements for telecommunications and infrastructure deployment and advises on related federal, state, and local legal and regulatory issues. These deals often involve innovative and disruptive approaches to market entry. Representative deployment transactions include:
- Represented an ISP in structuring and negotiating a public-private partnership for a municipal-owned utility to construct a fiber-to-the premises network and for the ISP to serve as anchor tenant.
- Represented a smart cities technology and media company in innovative transactions for deployment of public WiFi kiosks.
- Represented an ISP in structuring and negotiating a public-private partnership for a municipality to construct a conduit network and for the ISP to lease the conduit and install fiber-to-the premises.
- Represented a major cloud communications provider in MVNOs with national wireless carriers and a DBS provider in an MVNO with a foreign mobile service provider.
- Represented a fiber-to-the-premises broadband provider in pole attachment agreements with investor-owned and municipal-owned utilities.
- Represented a wireless technology company and a regional wireless carrier in leasing spectrum to a national wireless carrier.
- Represented technology providers in obtaining terrestrial IRUs, dark and lit fiber leases, and telecommunications services.
- Represented a fiber backbone provider in the strategic disposition of long-haul transport facilities and metropolitan ring networks.
Mergers & Acquisitions
HWG leads private-company mergers and acquisitions in technology, media, and telecommunications. Representative transactions include:
- Represented a private equity firm in acquiring founder-led companies, including in the areas of strategic communications and public affairs, interactive digital marketing, healthcare marketing, digital brand engagement, and advertising technologies and data platforms.
- Represented a private equity firm in acquiring public and private company carve-outs, including in the areas of entertainment research, public opinion and reputation strategy, mobile communications market research, and online reputation management and digital privacy.
- Represented a private equity firm in acquiring businesses from private equity and venture capital investors, including in the area of B2B digital marketing and travel media.
- Represented a WISP in strategic asset dispositions.
- Represented a private university in sale of its broadcast radio station to a public university.
- Represented a defense contractor in acquiring a satellite communications and technology developer.
- Represented a cloud migration provider in its acquisition by a private equity buyer.
- Represented a stock exchange operator in acquiring a foreign exchange electronic communication network.