The ubiquity of software, the Internet, and other modern technologies has created a vast array of new problems and concerns in the area of intellectual property (IP) rights. HWG’s IP practice is well equipped to address these issues, combining a knowledge of IP issues with broader litigation and transactional capabilities. We have experience in addressing threats posed by businesses whose model is to use IP claims primarily as a weapon to gain improper leverage in litigation. We have also assisted clients with an array of Internet-related IP issues – including the protection of trademarks and Internet domain names – as well as with more traditional IP issues. Our attorneys have particularly broad experience in connection with a variety of statutory copyright licenses. The firm does not, however, undertake patent prosecutions before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- Protecting copyrights and trademarks of a major global manufacturer of fine china and crystal.
- Advising clients on IP issues in connection with online sales and marketing.
- Defending the interests of an Internet technology company that holds, uses, and licenses a wide array of patents in litigation against “patent trolls.”
- Counseling and representing companies in connection with Internet-related domain name, copyright, and trademark disputes.
- Advising and representing satellite television and cable television operators in connection with copyright matters, including statutory licenses governing the retransmission of television programming.