HWG’s attorneys and non-attorney senior professionals have broad experience in international communications matters, advising companies, international organizations, and governments regarding the legal and policy problems of conducting business internationally. Our practice includes advising U.S. subsidiaries of foreign parents on the provision of telecommunications services in the U.S. We represent these organizations on a variety of issues before U.S. and foreign regulators, in international proceedings and negotiations, and in corporate and commercial transactions. Our regulatory experience extends to traditional telecommunications issues, such as interconnection and the proper treatment of Internet-protocol and 4th and 5th-generation mobile services and Internet of Things, but also to broader concerns such as jurisdictional disputes between state and federal authorities and among sovereign states, right-of-way disputes, and environmental regulation of telecommunications facilities. We also have extensive experience representing companies before the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) and in World Trade Organization (WTO) matters (including accession, liberalization, and dispute settlement), market access disputes (including disputes over goods, services, investment, and government procurement), and bilateral and regional trade negotiations. HWG regularly represents clients in the critical multilateral organization meetings that determine international spectrum allocation, including the World Radiocommunication Conference (WRC), the ITU’s Working Parties, the Inter-American Commission on Telecommunications (CITEL), and in the U.S. delegation meetings that prepare for those conferences.
HWG has a number of international affiliates whose expertise on the complex regulatory environments in other parts of the world complements the international legal knowledge and experience of our own attorneys.
- Securing in record time international agreement for a new study on Global Aeronautical Distress and Safety Services at WRC-15.
- Obtaining international agreement at WRC-15 to study spectrum bands for unmanned solar planes for broadband.
- Advising high-tech clients on foreign regulator electronic equipment compliance, certification and authorization matters.
- Representing a trade association that promotes internationally-harmonized spectrum and the deployment of 5G services throughout the Americas.
- Offering strategic advice on opportunities for telecom services in markets in Europe, Asia, Africa and the Americas.
- Securing licenses and other necessary authorizations from the FCC for international telecom services and submarine cable landings.
- Secured the first post-WTO approval of the acquisition of a U.S. telecommunications carrier by a company with substantial foreign governmental ownership.
- Advising non-U.S. investors on regulations and processes for investing in U.S. telecommunications and broadcasting companies, including obtaining clearance from the FCC, Team Telecom (U.S. law enforcement and national security agencies), and the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS).