We counsel U.S. companies regarding compliance with anti-corruption measures, including the anti-bribery and accounting provisions of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), and other laws addressing money laundering and mail and wire fraud. We work with companies to establish and maintain anti-corruption compliance programs, structure transactions to mitigate risk, and conduct internal investigations.
- We have represented Japanese, Korean, and German executives in criminal antitrust and FCPA cases. Those cases involve alleged conspiracy acts in China, Indonesia, Iran, Italy, and other countries.
- We represented an executive in connection with allegations of FCPA violations in Iraq.
- We have represented parties in connection with FCPA investigations in Brazil.
- HWG represents an indicted Korean executive in a prominent case under the FCPA, raising technically complex questions regarding the scope of the Act’s coverage.
- Represented a U.S. investor in potential acquisition of Latin American company that had made irregular payments in acquiring governmental authorizations.
- Advised a U.S. company in internal investigation of bribery allegations relating to overseas distribution network.