Jonathan B. Mirsky
Jonathan represents clients in mergers and acquisitions, prepares and negotiates complex agreements in the telecommunications industry, and advises on communications network deployment.
Mergers and Acquisitions. Jonathan structures and negotiates private equity and private company strategic mergers and acquisitions as well as other business combinations. Jonathan regularly represents clients in mergers and acquisitions of companies engaged in digital media, marketing, public relations, technology, and telecommunications. Jonathan has recently advised:
- A private equity firm in acquiring founder-led companies, including in the areas of strategic communications and public affairs, interactive digital marketing, healthcare marketing, digital brand engagement, and advertising technologies and data platforms.
- A private equity firm in acquiring public and private company carve-outs, including in the areas of entertainment research, public opinion and reputation strategy, mobile communications market research, and online reputation management and digital privacy.
- A private equity firm in acquiring businesses from private equity and venture capital investors, including in the area of B2B digital marketing and travel media.
- A private equity firm in a PIPE investment in an advertising holding company.
- A cloud migration provider in its acquisition by a private equity firm.
- A stock exchange operator in acquiring a foreign exchange electronic communication network.
Complex Communications Agreements. Jonathan prepares and negotiates complex commercial agreements specific to the telecommunications industry. Jonathan has advised:
- A fiber-to-the-premises broadband provider in innovative pole attachment agreements with investor-owned and municipal-owned utilities.
- A major cloud communications provider in MVNOs with national wireless carriers and a DBS provider in an MVNO with a foreign mobile service provider.
- Subsea cable systems in customer IRUs.
- A wireless technology company and a regional wireless carrier in leasing spectrum to a national wireless carrier.
- Technology providers in obtaining terrestrial IRUs, dark and lit fiber leases, and telecommunications services.
- A WISP in the strategic disposition of certain wireless, backhaul, inside wiring, and other network facilities.
- A fiber backbone provider in the sale and leaseback of certain long-haul transport facilities and metropolitan ring networks.
- A university in the sale of a broadcast radio station and tower.
In advising clients on communications agreements, Jonathan draws upon his past experience representing wireless and wireline service providers, satellite operators, and equipment manufacturers in rulemaking, enforcement, licensing, and other proceedings before the Federal Communications Commission. By combining his telecommunications regulatory background with his transactional experience, Jonathan is able to provide clients with the skills and experience necessary to complete complex commercial transactions in the communications industry.
Network Deployment. Jonathan structures novel approaches to communications network deployment and advises on related legal and regulatory issues, including public-private partnerships, joint ventures, and innovative approaches to accessing public rights-of-way. Jonathan has advised:
- A fiber-to-the-premises broadband provider in connection with achieving one touch make ready on utility poles.
- A smart cities technology and media company in connection with deployment of public WiFi kiosks.
- A fiber-to-the-premises broadband provider in connection with its public-private partnership with a municipal-owned utility.
Jonathan received his law degree from Yale Law School and clerked for Judge Ralph K. Winter on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. Jonathan graduated summa cum laude from Union College and completed the General Course at the London School of Economics. Jonathan serves as the leader of the firm’s Corporate and Commercial Transactions practice and as the chair of the firm’s Hiring Committee.