Randall W. Sifers
Randy Sifers is an accomplished attorney providing strategic and regulatory advice on federal, state, and international policy, compliance, and business issues, particularly in the communications and technology sectors. His clients include domestic and foreign wireless and wireline service providers, Internet service providers, providers of new technologies and services, VoIP providers, satellite service providers, and equipment manufacturers.
Mr. Sifers has accrued considerable experience with rulemaking, enforcement, and licensing proceedings. He has worked on a variety of issues involving foreign ownership rules, federal universal service fund compliance, licensing, antenna structures, spectrum allocations, pole attachments and public rights-of-ways, consumer-facing data security and privacy, and cybersecurity planning and response efforts.
Some of Mr. Sifers’ notable representations include:
Legal & Regulatory Analysis, Licensing, and Compliance
- Advising clients on compliance in a broad range of areas, including universal service, regulatory and licensing, data protection, consumer protection, and telemarketing practices.
- Commenting on proposed federal and state legislation and rulemaking proceedings, including proposals to amend the Communications Act, the FTC Act, FCC rules, and amendments to telecommunications laws and regulations in certain foreign jurisdictions.
- Successfully negotiating pole attachment, public rights-of-way, and conduit occupancy use agreements, and resolving disputes arising under these agreements.
- Advising clients on the legal issues surrounding the commercial use of unmanned aircraft systems (UAS or drones), including obtaining Part 107 waivers and Section 333 exemptions from the FAA.
Privacy, Data Security & Cybersecurity
- Assisting clients with developing data security policies and programs that comply with federal and state laws and self-regulatory programs, and cybersecurity planning and response.
- Counseling clients on the collection and processing of information under international legal frameworks, and on privacy and data security issues arising from cross-border transfers.
Enforcement & Litigation
- Successfully resolving FCC enforcement inquiries and investigations, including enforcement actions involving antenna structures, and informal and formal complaint proceedings.
- Successfully resolving inquiry regarding compliance with antenna structure registrations and environmental reviews.
- Assisting providers facing USAC audits.
- Assisting in federal and state litigation involving disputes with municipal entities over compensation for use of public rights-of-ways.
Spectrum Policy & Licensing
- Advising and assisting clients on obtaining international and domestic spectrum allocations and assignments, and negotiating proposals for band-sharing between terrestrial and satellite operations.
- Assisting company implementing global ground segment of the next generation polar-orbiting weather and environmental satellite system on acquiring landing rights in certain foreign jurisdictions.
Mr. Sifers serves as Co-Chair of the Federal Communications Bar Association’s Mobile Payments Committee (2013-present).
Mr. Sifers received his law degree from the Indiana University Maurer School of Law, where he was the Editor-in-Chief of the Federal Communications Law Journal. He received his Master’s degree in Public Policy and Administration from the University of Missouri-St. Louis, with honors. Mr. Sifers received his B.S. in Business Administration from the University of Missouri-Columbia.
September 21, 2016