Stephen W. Miller
Steve Miller is an experienced litigator and a partner at HWG LLP. He represents clients in complex commercial disputes and in white-collar investigations. Mr. Miller has worked extensively with telecommunications companies and frequently counsels such clients on regulatory compliance and enforcement matters.
Civil Litigation: Steve has represented clients in complex commercial disputes for nearly a decade. With deep experience in federal and state court, as well as in arbitrations, Steve has advised large corporations with international operations, smaller business entities, and individuals.
His recent experience includes having:
- Represented at trial a satellite company in a contract action with a large aerospace company involving the dissolution of their joint venture;
- Achieved a favorable resolution to a compensation dispute among telecommunications companies;
- Represented a litigation finance entity in responding to and fighting discovery aimed at the financer relating to a funded case;
- Defended against the enforcement of burdensome subpoenas and document demands on parties outside of an underlying litigation; and
- Reviewed several litigation finance opportunities.
Government Investigations and Criminal Defense: Mr. Miller represents companies and individuals involved in white-collar criminal investigations and prosecutions, as well as agency investigations. His recent experience includes having:
- Represented corporate executives and other individuals in federal wire, bank, and tax fraud prosecutions;
- Represented corporate executives and other individuals in criminal investigations relating to the U.S. Department of Justice’s Swiss Bank Program, the Toxic Substances Control Act, and alleged price fixing; and
- Represented elected officials under grand jury investigation.
Steve also regularly represents telecommunications companies responding to federal regulatory investigations and enforcement actions, including multiple agency investigations involving programs from which his clients receive subsidies from the FCC’s Universal Service Fund.
Appellate Litigation: Steve represents a variety of individuals and corporations involved in federal and state appellate proceedings, including both the petition and merits stages of matters before the United States Supreme Court. He has authored several amicus curiae briefs in high-profile cases before the United States Supreme Court, including:
- defending the federal subsidies provisions of the Affordable Care Act in King v. Burwell;
- advocating for a fundamental right to marriage encompassing same-sex couples in Obergefell v. Hodges;
- arguing that the rescission of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals was arbitrary and capricious and thus unlawful in Department of Homeland Security v. Regents of the University of California; and
- arguing the unconstitutionality of overly vague federal criminal laws in McDonnell v. United States.
Telecommunications: Steve represents telecommunications companies both in federal courts and before the FCC, and assists them in drafting comments on proposed regulations and meeting the complex regime of regulatory obligations faced by communications providers. His practice touches on a variety of areas, including telecommunications relay services for the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing, telecommunications for rural health care providers, intercarrier compensation, and rate-setting.
Prior to joining HWG, Steve was a litigation associate at Cravath, Swaine & Moore and an attorney at the National Center for Law and Economic Justice, a New York based non-profit organization, representing public benefits recipients in class action litigation.
Steve clerked for the Honorable Jack Zouhary of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio.
Steve received his J.D. cum laude from the University of Notre Dame Law School, where he was an Article Editor of the Notre Dame Law Review. He received his B.A. from the University of Notre Dame.
September 02, 2022
March 08, 2021
May 20, 2016