Susannah J. Larson
Susannah Larson is an associate with the law firm of Harris, Wiltshire & Grannis LLP, where she practices in the areas of communications, international trade and investment, and litigation. Ms. Larson regularly advocates for communications and technology clients before the Federal Communications Commission and federal courts.
International Trade and Investment and National Security
- Represents service providers, infrastructure owners, and investors in negotiating network security agreements with the “Team Telecom” agencies—the U.S. Departments of Justice, Defense, and Homeland Security, and the FBI.
- Represents clients in licensing and compliance matters under U.S. economic sanctions and export controls (including those administered by the Office of Foreign Assets Control, the Bureau of Industry and Security, and the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls) related to Cuba, Iran, and Sudan.
- Represents cable operators in compliance and site inspection activities with the Team Telecom agencies.
- Regularly assists clients in meeting the complex and ever-changing regime of federal and state regulatory obligations faced by communications providers.
- Represents the North American Submarine Cable Association in cable-protection matters before U.S. Government agencies.
- Represents owners of NCP, SEA-US, Seabras-1, BRUSA, and Marea submarine cable systems in licensing proceedings before the FCC.
- Advises emerging and established providers of VoIP and IP communications. In addition to providing advocacy and compliance advice, she helps clients understand the impact of regulatory obligations on their business and their competitors so clients can compete fairly and effectively.
- Assists clients in commenting on a variety of spectrum-related FCC rulemakings, including rulemakings related to the 5 GHz band and the 3.5 GHz band.
- Assists clients in applying for and modifying licenses and authorizations issued by the FCC, including wireless, experimental, and satellite authorizations.
- Advises clients in connection with all aspects of the Universal Service Fund. Her work spans advocacy, compliance, and matters arising from both USF contributions and distribution of USF support.
- Helps clients seeking to form, acquire, or transfer regulated telecommunications providers. Her work includes strategic advice in advance of transactions, due diligence and related advice, and assistance with regulatory applications and approval.
- Represented a national entertainment company in a lawsuit seeking unpaid royalties under a licensing agreement, resulting in the jury awarding the client 100% of the damages it sought.
- Represented a major telecommunications company in a consolidated multi-district lawsuit.
- Successfully argued for a below-guideline sentence for a criminal defendant in a joint representation with the federal public defender’s office.
Prior to joining Harris, Wiltshire & Grannis, Ms. Larson was an associate at a well-respected international law firm, where her practice primarily focused on general and environmental litigation. She went on to clerk for the Honorable Peter J. Messitte of the United States District Court for the District of Maryland.
Ms. Larson received her J.D., Order of the Coif, from the George Washington University Law School, where she was the Production Editor of The George Washington Law Review. She received her B.A., summa cum laude, from The University of Oklahoma.
February 08, 2016
January 19, 2016
December 03, 2015
December 04, 2014
May 21, 2018
May 01, 2017
July 27, 2016