Timothy J. Simeone
Tim Simeone is co-chair of the Issues and Appeals group at Harris, Wiltshire & Grannis LLP, and also works extensively with both the Communications and Legal Ethics and Malpractice groups. Mr. Simeone has argued cases on a wide variety of issues before the United States Supreme Court, the D.C. Circuit, and other federal courts of appeals. Mr. Simeone has also argued before state courts of last resort, the U.S. Court of Claims, and the District of Columbia Board on Professional Responsibility.
In more than twenty-five years as an appellate advocate, Mr. Simeone has honed the skill of presenting complex legal issues simply, both orally and in writing. He has participated in a variety of administrative law and attorney discipline cases, as well appeals involving federal jurisdiction, constitutional law, contract, criminal procedure, trade secrets law, insurance issues, antitrust, ERISA, defamation, indecency and obscenity, bankruptcy, and many other areas.
Mr. Simeone’s most noteworthy appellate representations include:
• Obtaining a grant of certiorari and then winning a 9-0 decision in the first major federal abstention case in the United States Supreme Court in more than twenty years;
• Obtaining vacatur and a new trial in a high-profile appeal of a first degree murder conviction in the D.C. Circuit;
• Defending an attorney in a disbarment appeal before the D.C. Court of Appeals;
• Briefing and arguing a trade secrets case before the Delaware Supreme Court;
• Representing attorneys on appeals of disciplinary cases before the D.C. Board on Professional Responsibility;
• Crafting an amicus strategy along with the HWG appellate team and preparing a series of Supreme Court and Federal Circuit briefs in patent law cases for a large technology firm;
• Arguing on behalf of a major national wireless carrier in telecommunications appeals before multiple federal courts of appeals.
Mr. Simeone is also a member of HWG’s Trial Litigation group, where his appellate experience is valuable for analyzing legal issues, preparing, defending, and arguing dispositive motions, and preserving arguments for appeal. Mr. Simeone has experience writing down-to-earth mediation statements in complex commercial mediations.
Mr. Simeone works with HWG’s Communications practice on a wide variety of legal and regulatory issues before the FCC. Like his work before trial courts and disciplinary bodies, Mr. Simeone’s advocacy at the FCC draws on his experience as an appellate attorney to present analysis of complex legal and policy issues as straightforwardly as possible.
August 07, 2017
August 22, 2016
June 24, 2016
June 24, 2016
February 12, 2016