V. Shiva Goel
Shiva Goel helps companies shape and navigate the rules, regulations, and judicial decisions that comprise telecom, technology, and space policy in the United States.
He counsels clients from venture-backed startups to Fortune 100 market leaders on the legal environment affecting connectivity-driven products and services. He also provides determined advocacy in “bet-the-business-model” regulatory disputes and regularly represents clients in appeals, civil litigation and investigations, with a focus on matters involving the telecom sector or technologically complex factual issues.
In addition, Shiva provides strategic guidance on industry combinations and other commercial transactions raising regulatory implications. He also has experience advocating for favorable positions before specialized U.N. agencies whose decisions can determine the course of technology development internationally.
Telecommunications, Technology, and Space Regulation: Counseling, Transactions, and Administrative Litigation
- Provides strategic counseling on regulations affecting leading-edge products and services, including cloud platforms, terrestrial wireless services, space-based services, connected devices, and emerging transportation technologies.
- Advocates in hotly contested administrative proceedings, including rulemakings, licensing proceedings, and transaction reviews.
- Assists companies with infrastructure deployment matters and participation in programs designed to bridge the digital divide.
- Represents clients in commercial transactions involving regulated assets and services and in proceedings to secure agency transaction approvals.
- Publicly traded and venture-backed technology companies on a wide variety of product regulatory issues, including universal service contribution obligations; encryption, lawful intercept, and other data privacy and information security matters; rules governing the use of wireless spectrum; E911 requirements; and the regulation of connected vehicles.
- Traditional satellite operators and NewSpace companies in counseling, licensing, and administrative litigation matters involving spectrum access disputes, market entry requirements, orbital debris mitigation, and ground network deployment.
- Wireless and wireline telecommunications providers on rules governing participation in rural and low-income connectivity programs and in administrative litigation over universal service reform.
- Wireless industry participants in infrastructure deployment, spectrum aggregation, and wireless roaming matters.
- Diligence of mergers, acquisitions, and bespoke commercial transactions on behalf of technology, telecommunications, and space industry clients.
- Wireless carrier in successful acquisition of spectrum exceeding the FCC’s below-1-GHz spectrum screen.
- Telecommunications companies in sales, spinoffs, restructurings, and acquisitions requiring FCC public interest approval.
Appellate Litigation, Trial Litigation, and Investigations
- Represents clients in challenges to agency action before the federal courts of appeals, often in matters involving complex economic, technical, and administrative-law issues.
- Assists clients participating in high-stakes administrative proceedings on issue preservation and appellate strategy prior to the issuance of a final agency order.
- Represents companies and individuals before the federal and state courts and in investigations by federal enforcement authorities.
- Conducts internal investigations, pre-suit investigations, and reviews of potential litigation financing investments.
- First American tribe and tribal utility authority in D.C. Circuit appeal challenging cuts to low-income broadband subsidies. Successfully briefed and argued the case on the merits after winning a stay pending judicial review.
- Leading competitive carriers in appeals over sweeping reforms to a multi-billion-dollar telecommunications marketplace based on novel theories of market competition.
- Telecom industry clients in various federal enforcement matters.
- Established civil rights organization participating as amicus curiae before the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Nationwide IT consultant in federal litigation over claims processing contract.
- Multinational technology company in federal litigation involving complex admiralty and maritime law issues.
Shiva is also active in the Washington legal community. For several years he assisted students at H.D. Woodson High School and School Without Walls prepare for oral argument as part of the D.C. Circuit Historical Society’s Mock Court program. He is a member of the South Asian Bar Association, the Federal Communications Bar Association, and the Edward Coke Appellate Inn of Court. He was recognized as a leading communications lawyer in the 2021 edition of Best Lawyers in America.
Before joining Harris, Wiltshire & Grannis, Shiva clerked for the Honorable Maryanne T. Barry of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit and the Honorable Louis L. Stanton of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York. He received his J.D. Order of the Coif from the University of Virginia School of Law and his B.A. from Cornell University.
August 19, 2021
July 26, 2019
May 03, 2019
February 01, 2019
January 07, 2019
March 29, 2018
July 27, 2016