V. Shiva Goel
Shiva Goel helps companies shape and navigate the rules, regulations and judicial decisions that comprise telecom and technology policy in the United States. He also assists technology, telecom and investment firms in connection with commercial transactions, including mergers and acquisitions involving entities regulated by the FCC. In addition, Shiva regularly represents clients in government investigations and trial and appellate litigation, with a focus on matters involving the telecom sector or issues of technological complexity. He also has experience advocating for favorable U.S. positions before specialized agencies whose decisions can determine the course of technology development internationally.
Communications Regulation and Transactions
- Advocates before the FCC in hotly contested rulemaking and licensing proceedings involving spectrum reallocations, merger and transaction reviews, satellite operations, wireline competition and universal service reform, among other issues.
- Provides strategic counseling on regulations affecting emerging communications technologies, including cloud communications, terrestrial wireless services, satellite services, internet-capable consumer devices, virtualization and SDN technologies, IoT platforms and connected car services.
- Negotiates and secures regulatory approval of mergers, acquisitions and wireless spectrum transactions, and advises companies on agreements governing XaaS offerings and the development of communications software.
- Experienced with a broad range of regulatory issues, including market entry and exit requirements, universal service program requirements, USF contribution obligations, surveillance and law enforcement access to communications, rules governing the use of wireless spectrum, orbital debris, intercarrier compensation, rate regulation, wireless roaming, E911 and accessibility requirements for individuals with disabilities.
Complex Commercial Litigation and Investigations
- Represents companies and individuals before the federal and state courts and in investigations by federal enforcement authorities.
- Conducts internal investigations, pre-suit investigations and reviews of potential litigation financing investments.
- Represents clients challenging adverse agency decisions before the federal courts of appeals.
- Represents clients intervening to defend favorable agency decisions before the federal courts of appeals.
- Regularly assists clients participating in high-stakes administrative proceedings on issue preservation and appellate strategy prior to the issuance of a final agency order.
Before joining Harris, Wiltshire & Grannis, Shiva clerked for the Honorable Maryanne T. Barry of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit and the Honorable Louis L. Stanton of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York. He received his J.D. Order of the Coif from the University of Virginia School of Law and his B.A. from Cornell University.
July 26, 2019
May 03, 2019
February 01, 2019
January 07, 2019
March 29, 2018
September 14, 2017
September 01, 2016
July 27, 2016