Walter E. Anderson
Walter E. Anderson is a partner with the law firm of Harris, Wiltshire & Grannis LLP, where he concentrates his practice on litigation, regulatory enforcement, and communications matters. Mr. Anderson has deep experience with all phases of litigation in state court, federal district court, and multiple federal appellate courts, and he represents clients in the information technology and communications industries in proceedings before a variety of federal and state regulators. Mr. Anderson also has experience counseling technology-based companies in numerous aspects of their businesses.
Mr. Anderson’s notable representations include:
- Achieving a complete victory for one of the country’s leading live-entertainment companies in a 10-day federal jury trial related to breach of a licensing agreement.
- Defeating the vast majority of claims against one of the largest private companies in the nation in a 3-day arbitration.
- Taking a lead role on a successful challenge to an FCC rule in the DC Circuit Court of Appeals.
- On behalf of a Fortune 100 financial company, leading an internal investigation that caused a federal regulator to stop pursuing accusations of wrongdoing.
- Responding to regulatory enforcement inquiries on behalf of companies ranging from startups to the Fortune 500.
- Assisting providers who face investigations of contributions to and support received from the federal Universal Service Fund.
- Advising companies on compliance with various regulations, including equipment authorization, marketing practices, and service-quality standards.
- Representing numerous parties before the DC Circuit Court of Appeals and the FCC regarding improper efforts by the FCC and its administrator to apply common carrier telecom regulations to Internet-based technology companies.
Mr. Anderson is deeply involved in the community. He maintains an active pro bono practice, serves as a board observer for Musicopia (a non-profit that introduces music to children in schools where arts programs have been cut), and is a member of the Orpheus Club of Philadelphia, the nation’s oldest men’s singing club.
Mr. Anderson graduated from Georgetown University Law Center, cum laude. Prior to law school, Mr. Anderson attended the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, where he received a degree in Communications-Media Studies. Prior to joining Harris, Wiltshire & Grannis, Mr. Anderson worked for a major international law firm.